View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
Angel4791
Senior Yorkie Talker

Question How to feed overweight Yorkie

My baby Finnigen is 14 months and weighs close to 6 lbs. When I had him at the vet for his shots two months ago he was just over 5 lbs. He seems to be getting bigger and really is starting to look like a big ball of fur. The vet told me then that he was a bit overweight two months ago, I just dismissed it as winter fat... but he has been getting bigger.

We feed him 2 meals a day -- he was on Natural Balance Organic 1/3 cup each meal. Then I switched him to wellness (from the research it seemed better) he was getting 1/4 cup of that at each meal. Just recently we are transitioning him back to the NB Organic. I really didn't like the Wellness (just a personal prefrence, texture, size, smell).

Am I feeding him too much. The back of the bag says 10lbs or less 2/3c-1c a day. Should I cut that in half since he's supposed to be a 5lb dog. and feed him only 1/3 cup of food split into 2 meals. I'm so confused about this.

He is less active because it's cold outside and he doesn't get out to exercise as much as when it's warm.

Anyone out there with any advice would be great. I'm starting to feel like I knew what I was doing but now there's too many numbers and I'm just jumbling myself into a mess. I really don't want Finnigen to have any of the health problems that can be assocaited with being overweight.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!