View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Hi and welcome to YT! I love when people like you join us who want to be prepared for their new friend's arrival. I just know already that your puppy will be very lucky.

I think cost can widely vary as to a good quality puppy. For example, a couple of our YT members, Amazing Yorkies and Magicgenie, are both show breeders and their puppies run around $1500-2000 depending. I think more than that is too much personally.

As for the vet and vaccines, I use vets that follow the AAHA standards for vaccines and I only do core vaccines.

I use Heartgard plus for heartworm prevention and I use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks.

I have Embrace Pet insurance. I have had it for a year, and have not met my deductible but in all my dealings w/ the company, I like the experience so far. I purchased the wellness rewards plus plan which allows you to submit $100 extra in wellness items (so basically it's like getting a free $100). I feel that this helps offset the actual premium of the insurance.

Good luck with your new yorkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederreviewer View Post
Hello!

First I would just like to say--I am a first time dog owner, and I haven't found a Yorkie baby yet , but I would like to make sure I have the proper information before proceeding! There are a lot of questions below--be forewarned! lol

Added information: The breeders I am currently looking at let their yorkies go at 12 weeks. I will be asking about costs, please have in mind that I would like to just get a general picture of how much I should be saving up in the future, not because I want to get the cheapest thing possible.

My first question is about the vet and the first vet visit. I think I have found a great vet that lives nearby so everything is well in that area What happens during the first vet visit? Do any vaccinations happen during that first visit? How much does the first vet visit usually cost? From looking at other threads on the forum I see it is over $200...? This is all very new to me, so please bear with me

My second question is about vaccinations-- would it be alright if I tell the vet that I would like to buy some of the vaccinations myself (if available on DrsFosterSmith.com) and apply? Or attend a vaccination clinic? Or should I leave it up to the vet? What types of vaccinations will a puppy need at twelve weeks and after sixteen weeks? From what I can tell, it is just parvo+distemper and possibly rabies. Is there any more?

My third question is about pet insurance. Would you guys recommend getting pet insurance or just setting money aside? I am looking at Embrace Pet Insurance.

My fourth question is about flea/tick preventment and heartworm preventment. What brands would you recommend the most?

Any additional advice would be appreciated.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!