View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Hi and welcome to YT ! How great to see someone who really wants to prepare for a puppy and get all the information up front -- you will be a great doggie owner.

I'll answer your questions in order:

1) A first visit cost depends upon what's needed. Office calls are usually somewhere around $50, depending upon where you live in the US. The vet should do a full exam of your puppy - and make sure they check the knees for LP as yorkies are prone to this and you'd want to know if anything feels off right away. Vet should also check ears, eyes, teeth, temp, resps, heart rate, listen to heart/lungs, testicles if male, palpate legs/joints, body condition. Vaccines are only given if due - here is info on vaccine schedules: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...-overview.html. You may need to do deworming, so that'd be another charge. Here is more info on basic charges/costs of owning a dog: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/mis...wning-dog.html

2) Oops, you're asking about vaccines here - please see link above. I would *not* recommend giving the vaccines yourself - let the vet do or your humane ass'n or a vaccine clinic as long as the accompanying vet has emergency supplies on hand. At 12-16 wks, it's parvo + distemper. I try to hold off on rabies until 6mths old, at least; but you also need to check your rabies state law. DON'T get a rabies vaccine on a day that you're getting any other vaccines! Get it on it's own, 2-3 weeks apart from any other.

3) I didn't use to recommend insurance, but I'm a real believer now. I had PetPlan, but now have Healthy Paw for all 3 of mine. Get it as early as possible so there are no pre-existing conditions (this is also why you want to document that no LP is present in the knees at the first exam).

4) I don't do flea/tick, but give Heartguard for heartworm. Interceptor is another one I like and used to give and would give again.

Hope that helps!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!