View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

[QUOTE=SophieChloeKiva;4454905]We bought our last yorkie from Glenda Beavers in June 2012 in Talequah, OK. We picked out a little female after being discouraged by Glenda not to buy the one we saw online & we had discussed on the phone. She wanted to keep it for a friend who would "show" her. Our puppy, Kiva, had an underbite which Glenda said would often correct itself. Glenda asked for more money because Kiva would have a beautiful coat. I'm not sure why I agreed to pay more, but I did. After about 6 weeks, both of Kiva's knees began popping. Our vet said surgery would most likely be indicated at some point. As Kiva's adult teeth came in, some of her baby teeth didn't fall out. Then she developed gingival hyperplasia (excess gum tissue) in one area that grew to cover several teeth. It had to be removed; it is now growing back.
Kiva is a sweet, loving and beautiful dog. We love her very much. I was hoping to have a yorkie without health issues. I would use caution if buying one from Glenda Beavers or any breeder without a health contract/guarantee. Her website displays winning show dogs, but they can have health issues too.

I am so sorry you are having some health issues with your dog. Your point about "if health is important to you in your dog" to first check to see if the breeder offers a meaningfull health warranty is good advice. How-ever given your history with previous dogs from different breeders did have serious health issues, it does beg the question why you went with this one that did not offer a warranty?

Also breeders will not likely warranty against LP which is very prevalent in this breed. They might offer advice and emotional support,, most especially if the dog is older when ddx'd with LP. There are many grades of LP and you did not mention what Grade Kiva has, and at what age it was diagnosed?
LP is likely a polygenetic condition most especially if it is present in both knees. There is no genetic test (as of yet), there is for the breeder only breeding dogs free of LP and hoping that the litter is free as well. With no guarantee that this will be so, even doing your best to know the health lineage of your breeding lines.

There are very few actual studies on LP in Yorkies, and certainly no genetic studies to identify the suspected multi-gene involvement. There are a few studies that do indicate some of these suspected genetic osteo conditions can be affected by the environment the pup is raised in.

I do hope you let your breeder know, and wish you the best for Kiva.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!