Thread: k/d can food
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
yorkiemom76
YT Addict

Definitely call your vet. I have a 14 year old Yorkie that's in kidney failure so I have a little experience. Do you know how high her kidney values are? She may need to be on Sub Q fluids. My boy gets them every other day. If her values are very high, the vet will usually recommend a kidney flush on IV fluids for a few days then you can continue to maintain on Sub Q fluids.

Another thing, kidney issues can make them nauseous so that may be why your girl isn't wanting to eat much. I make a Zantac suspension for Bear with instructions from my vet and give it to him twice daily. They may also suggest Famotidine instead.

It's good that shes on Azodyl. Bear's kidney values have come down quite a bit since starting him on that and the Sub Q fluids. He wouldn't eat the k/d and my vet did some research and said the k/d diet may not be the best thing for him anyway. He's always been a very thin dog and it has gotten much worse since he started having kidney issues. He also has bad arthritis so I put him on Science Diet j/d. It's made for joint issues and it's also lower in protein but not as much as the k/d.

You really need to encourage her to drink as much as possible even if you have to take it to her and remind her to drink. You could even try blending the k/d food with some water and see if she will eat it better that way and she would be getting some water at the same time. If necessary, you could even syringe feed it to her that way. Good luck.
yorkiemom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!