View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #223
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I do not believe science has ever been discussed dispassionately at any time in history. Part of the human condition. There is always an agenda.

I also do not believe information is for the few. This is why I said this subject challenges my core beliefs. I advocate spaying/neutering pets, but I do not believe in telling anyone to do anything without thinking. I dumped our first vet for treating me that way.

At the same, I do not like the title of this thread, the "if ever." It suggests a position on the issue that Gail says she does not support for most pets.
the if ever had a ? mark. And I meant that to suggest that much is not known especially by breed type of the long term health/benefit/risks equation. It means that I am open to being informed and educated, and am actively searching for that answer.

At this time in my mind a key question is the critical timing element. Six months is still an open question and Most especially for Males, and that is for the Yorkie breed. It is not an open question in my mind for medium to large breeds. Six months is way too early.

I am and have never been anti spay.neuter. But I am for choosing the timing wisely. I am for keeping current with new and breaking research.

An operation that is here in North America performed annually upon millions upon millions of dogs, needs to (and thank goodness the medical vet community and other interested parties have started to study the effects of same) is quite frankly necessary.

In terms of education. This board is for adults. Those who by now with the multiple pages of posts who wish to inform themselves of the research can do so with the links provided.

The decision on When to spay or neuter is one of the very important first decisions most pet owners or for that matter breeders must make. Another of course are vaccines and heartworm etc, not a topic for this thread.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!