View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Default Barney ate Onions and I made things worse

Two nights ago, Barney snatched some onion that fell on the floor. It was a very small amount, and not a toxic dose (although it doesn't take much to make it problematic). I decided with his history of gastritis and pancreatitis that I would induce vomiting and take back the onion! I administered a proper dosage of hydrogen peroxide and waited. He vomited twice and gave me a piece of veggie and potato from breakfast but NO onion. I kept waiting and he vomited again and this time he gave me nothing but foam! I gave up and figured he would be ok and I went to bed.

He ate breakfast fine the next morning and seemed like his usual self. When my husband came home, he found five small piles. We thought we might have the onion but it wasn't!! Ugh. Last night he vomited again, and I called my friend Ellie May and we discussed. We decided one more and he would go to the ER vet. We didn't get two minutes past that discussion when Barney made the decision for us. I figured 9x of vomiting was getting a little crazy, and his gums felt a little dry. He was otherwise fine.

We went to the ER vet last night and they remembered him from all his other visits. LOL. They didn't remember how old he was - almost 14 now - and one of the techs was shocked. The vet said his gums were nice and pink and he was still well hydrated but she wanted to give him a small amount of fluids and a shot of anti-nausea medication called Cerenia. Lucky for Barney, he did not have to be admitted and was sent home with well wishes for a speedy recovery.

I am hoping my baby doesn't have any other issues with regard to the onion and that he is feeling much better by tonight.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!