View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

He is adorable.

Exercise is great for draining energy, which contributes to better behavior. Obedience and trick training will help. Having a daily routine of activities at about the same time each day also helps -- the basics of waking, eating, a walk, and so on.

I do not subscribe to the dominance theory. I believe dogs need leadership, but using positive reinforcement training. When Max was a puppy, if I tried to force him to do something, he would lose all focus and break into zoomies. But when I used positive reinforcement methods, he was eager to learn and to please.

Teach "no bite." Take your hands away, or whatever the biting target is. If he doesn't respond to the no bite, calmly get up and walk away. Withdraw your attention. Completely ignore him. If tries 'attacking' you while you are ignoring him, leave the room to go to a place where he can't follow.

Teach sit and "drop it." When trying to get an object away from him, don't physically try to get him to release it (unless it is something dangerous and he isn't dropping it). "Leave it" is another good one.

If he doesn't want petting, leave him alone. Don't force it on him. My boys do not like to be stroked down the back or traditional petting. They prefer belly rubs (chest) and shoulder massage. Find out what your boy likes.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!