View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
protea
Yorkie Yakker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
I adopted Cody Nov. 2013 and found he gets car sick. To limit his stress I would not take him in the car. On the rare occasions he had to be in the car (vet visits) I always had early morning appointments, so I would not feed him and limited his water intake. He would travel in the back seat, He would pant profusely, his entire muzzle would be soaking wet, and at times would still vomit. I get car sick if I sit in the back seat, so I tried putting him in the front seat, no improvement. All my past dogs I had as puppies and were just about raised in cars as I did much traveling, they never got car sick. I took them with me where ever I went. I was very sad to know I could have this with Cody. I love to take my babies with me where ever I have to go, even if it’s just to the bank. Last week I purchased a dog booster seat. It is elevated OFF the car seat, no support leg from booster seat to car seat. Cody eats at 7AM, if I have to go out it’s usually around 11AM. I was anxious to test out the booster seat. First test, fed Cody, wondering if 4 hours after eating was enough time for his stomach to partly digest his food. So off we go, the booster seat I put in the front so I could keep an eye on him, I didn’t know how he would react to being confined, wanted to see if he would pant etc.. I live on top of a mountain, many S curves, up and down hills, speed limit is 35MPH, which I always drove at 20 to 25 MPH when Cody was in the car, and many times would have vomited when I reached the bottom of the mountain. On first test day, got down the mountain all was fine, no vomiting, NO PANTING, Cody was able to look out of the window which I had open maybe 2 inches, and he looked very comfy and not stressed out as he use to be. He was in the car apox. 45 min. on test day. The following day I did the same thing, fed at 7AM, out at 11AM. He was reluctant as usual to get in the car, I always have to pick him up and place him in, and had to do this on 2nd test trip. Again, all went well, NO PANTING,no vomiting. Day 3, had to leave house at 10AM, again concerned about is 3 hours after eating enough time for food to be settled so as not to get sick. This car trip was to be a loner one, A 1 ½ hour drive one way, he would be out of the car for a couple of hours then back in for the 1 ½ back home. SUCCESS, no vomit, no panting, all relaxed, even laid down in his booster seat for a nap with his head resting on the edge of the booster seat. He has been in car in booster seat 6 times, the 6th time I did not have to drag him to come NEAR the car as I usually had to do, he stood by the car and waited for me to pick him up and put him in the booster seat. Do I have to tell you that I am one HAPPY camper to know, where ever I go I can now take my baby boy with me. I do have to change my driving habits when he’s with me, such as, when I have to make a left or right hand turn when I have to turn on a corner, I make the turn slower. Highway travel I do not dip into lane changing, will wait for a long space distance to gradually change lanes. I am also aware it is advised to keep pets in the back seat, but for now I will keep him in the front so I can keep an eye on him to make sure he does not get so confident and try to climb out of the booster seat even tho there is a clip on the booster seat that attaches to his harness. Besides I get so much pleasure to see him besides me, relaxed and at last enjoying car trips. When the time is right I will put the booster seat in the back seat .To anyone whose baby gets car sick, buy a booster seat that is elevated OFF the car seat, with NO support leg that goes from booster seat to car seat, and change your driving habits, take turns slower then you normally would. It is working for me, I hope it works for anyone whose pup gets car sick.
The Booster seat worked wonders for my Sophie to...tried everything before,even a 10 min ride was a nightmare...got the boosterseat,and now she goes everywhere and no problem.....
protea is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!