View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I feel so sorry for you baby....I, too, have a failed rescue with the same problem. I have 2 other yorkies in the house, so just to ease your mind, having other babies does not always help. My little guy had severe separation anxiety, very similar to your little ones. He would scratch and bite at the door constantly. He also would jump the gates. I hated to "drug" him until I talked to a animal behaviorist. She is a vet that also specializes is animal behaviors. She asked me if I thought he was happier behaving and feeling this anxious when I had to leave him. She explained that the medication would not change his behavior or turn him into a zombie, it would simply calm him down and cause him to have a better sense of "well being" while I was gone. The medication has to be given daily, closely monitored to achieve the correct dose, and takes about 3 weeks to see the full effect. It is not a miracle drug, but I have seen a difference in his anxiety level. He does seem calmer. Would he still rather be with me and have me stay home - yes, absolutely...but, I don't think he thinks the world will end anymore when I leave him. He seems more at ease when I do. He is still anxious, but 50 - 75% less so. Storms still upset him, but we can handle that. I understand your hesitation, but can tell you that under proper care and supervision, helping your baby with properly dosed medication, it can be a much better alternative for your baby than to be left anxious, scared and alone all day by herself. Good luck!
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!