View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
jmcconv
Yorkie Talker

UPDATE - Yesterday after the couch arrived, I was able to slip out because it had started raining. I gave Roxie a dentastick on the way out, so that probably helped. When I came home, she was crying and carrying on like I had been gone forever. She didn't eat breakfast yesterday, but was eating grass when I took her out. She seriously makes herself sick with worry. I took Rox to Petco after work and they didn't have the thunder shirt. They had a Kong version, but I hadn't heard anything about it and decided to hold out for the real thing. There wasn't anyone on the floor that could answer questions about calming stuff, so I went to Petsmart (they're right across the street from each other). Petsmart had the thunder shirt, so I picked one up. There was a staff member on the floor who seemed super helpful, but she was working with a couple who had just adopted a shelter dog and had no idea what to get to start out and there was another couple waiting to talk to her. I only found one other person on the floor and it was a girl cleaning the fish tanks who could only tell me what stuff they offered (collar, diffuser, treats) and that the thunder shirt has "mixed reviews." I decided just to buy the darn thing because it has a 60 day guarantee or something, so I can always take it back. I put it on Roxie last night for her to try it out while we were at the house. I am not sure if it made a difference because she's typically pretty calm as long as she's right next to me. This morning after I took Roxie out I put it back on her while I was getting ready for work. She sat on my bed and glared at me the whole time I was getting ready, very suspiciously. When we went downstairs for breakfast, she didn't eat again and sat in the living room, halfway between the front door and kitchen and periodically growled at me. As soon as I started picking up my bags, she was on my heels again. I needed to give her her desoquin for the day anyway, so I had her sit and gave it to her as I slipped out the door. I don't know if the shirt has made a difference, but I can usually get out of the house once a day if I give her a treat. It usually doesn't work the second time around, so we will see how she reacts at my lunch break. I may have to try the melatonin at least for a few days/weeks until she goes back to bed after I leave for work on her own (she did at the old house). I definitely am not keeping the thunder shirt if it doesn't help since I found out about the guarantee/return policy. Wouldn't mind having the $40 back, although I'm okay with not if it helps her.
jmcconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!