View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
crystalsmom
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Cha View Post
Some horse racing trivia... So, have any of you read about the X-Factor heart in horses? X-factor refers to a large heart gene only passed on through the x-chromosome. The larger the heart, the more oxygen a horse can pump through it's blood when it runs, making it capable of running faster. Sires cannot pass it on to their sons, only their daughters. Secretariet is known to have had the x-factor and had HUGE heart. He is one of only a few who actually had his heart weighed after he died. I can't remember but it seems it was something like twice the size of a normal heart. (Don't quote me). He was not a great "stallion" sire, but his daughters were highly sought.

Here is some info if you horse racing fans would like to read. I love to study horse pedigrees and this is very interesting...

Chasing the X-Factor, Unofficial Thoroughbred Hall of Fame
I didn't know that until about a month ago. Another Secretariat and Man of War, will be hard to find. I saw Secretariat taking pictures with some children on video. The photographer wanted to keep everything safe but you could see he wanted to put his nose up against theirs.

Thank you for the info. We knew he had to have heart to accomplish what he did but the weight is of his is the machine that got him where he wanted to go.

Last edited by crystalsmom; 06-09-2014 at 01:00 PM.
crystalsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!