View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoYorkie View Post
SO. Here is the resolution. Not very pleased with Vets in general right now. As of late they have all seemed to be out for the almighty dollar and tend not to share all the information the pet owner needs to know.

We insisted that ALL of the long hairs around the male parts be trimmed right back to naught. The vet had to get SUTURE SCISSORS in order to remove the hair tournequette that enveloped Oscar's penis, trim all of the longer hairs. Oscar's penis then retracted inside his foreskin (?) and was covered for the first time since we adopted him six weeks ago.

If a dog could smile, Oscar was smiling. No longer in pain or discomfort. It was quite a fight to get him into position and hold him steady for the trimming and we were about to muzzle Oscar but avoided this.

Oscar's penis is now covered by the foreskin and the first thing he did on reaching home was take a trip to the back yard and fill up on fresh, cool water. He laid down on our warm back deck and rolled over on his back spreading his legs and exposing his covered "peeps".

I take note: on preliminary investigation by the vet when he was told that Oscar's penis was perpetually exposed he pulled out a clump of hair and left it at that; no further investigation and no further instructions. Three hundred and change dollars later (remember, this is a rescue animal) we were told to come back in a few weeks for x-rays and further tests. Sic.

I know that there are good vets our there in the Toronto area and wish we could find the vets that we used to use that tended to everything from barnyard animals to pet mice. They were the best!

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice and support. Hit the nails right on the head and we went in knowledgeable with a pretty good idea of what we were looking for (although I'm not sure that we got a proper "trim" of all of the hair - it was suggested that perhaps we might want to have Oscar semi-circumcised at first. Sic.) It was very good knowing something before opening our mouths and being able to show that fact. As a result, I feel that the vet gave us just exactly what was necessary. Still charged us $60+ for trimming that hair tournequette but I'm not complaining now that Oscar is a happy doggy.

You cannot imagine the difference in demeanor that Oscan exhibits.

Now we need to tend to Oscar's little issue of urinating and defecating about the house. We have pretty much eliminated this issue over the past few weeks by keeping him "locked up" in the bedroom at night (NOT ON THE BED) and locked up in the living room area during the day where his "travel cage" is kept (door open and unlocked as a place for safety and security comfort for him). When he defecates elsewhere for whatever reason we dump this in the back yard for him to sniff. When he urinates indoors, we immediately use a special cleaner to clean the floor and eliminate the odour. The problem is close to 100% resolved as long as we leave things restricted like this. We are working towards 100% clean without having to restrict him. Getting close. Think that he was abused by one of the male humans in the home where he was rescued from as he tends to get riled up around dark shoes that are moving about until he trusts you. And when you go to pet him he cowers. Working on it. One thing for sure - he is a happier doggy since moving in and he is a very lucky Yorkie for having a community like this to provide information.

Thank you to everyone for your input and for your assistance.

(P.S. We tend to bathe Oscar about once a week or so with a mild doggy soap/conditioner. He tends to be a REAL BIG snuggle bunny and if we should lay down on the couch he will jump up and go to sleep on top of either of us in an instant. I am wondering if this is poor "pack management" from our standpoint and as The Dog Whisperer would suggest.)
I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. All it took was a haircut, yay!! As for your biotin note, if it's poor pack management I don't want to be right. Kaji constantly sleeps near me, on me, around me, anywhere really. I just love it!! He's such a snuggle bunny.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!