View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreuer View Post
I just want to make sure people read the laws for their state when finding a lost pup.... and do the right thing morally. They could be charged with a crime if they don't, at the very least, report the missing dog to the proper authority. Yes, you may be taking great care of the dog, but it's still not yours. Some loving family may be out there missing their dog. (This is not directed at anyone, just info for anyone who finds a dog to keep in mind). Also, to keep in mind, if you put money into caring for the dog like food, vet, etc, I'm pretty sure if the owner claims the dog they are not required to reimburse those fees.

You are exactly correct! A lost dog does not have the capability to tell you their address and phone number do they are reunited with their owners. If you take a dog off the street to remove it from harms way you are also taking away their ability to be found by their rightful owners. So you need to take appropriate steps to let that owner know that you have their pet.

A few years ago, there was a woman that posted here about a yorkie she had found by a creek behind her home. She CAPTURED it with a TRAP and then refused to look for the owners or to give her phone number out. I offered to place CL ads in her area and used my email and phone number as a contact which she agreed to doing. She kept it in her barn on a leash for a day or so and then within 2 days she rehomed it to a family that lived 25 miles away! That is just so wrong and I was so upset at the time. She made no effort and kept the poor dog a prisoner in her barn unable to be seen by anyone looking for the poor little guy. She was too far away from me so it wasn't like I was able to go and get him myself and make a real effort and because she wouldn't even give me her phone number I could only reach her through email. It was just a horrible experience that still bothers me to this day.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!