View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
You are LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE for looking for an owner. It is call Finder Law of Lost Chatties which isn't necessarily law on the books and could be a common law principle of finders of lost chattles (money or goods).

Let's say you have a boat and it gets away from your slip and ends up over in the neighbors slip. That does not mean that the boat is now your property. It belongs to someone and needs to be returned. A found dog is the exact same thing since animals are considered PROPERTY! So a reasonable effort needs to be made to find the owners. Here's another example: I found a bag of money on the side of the road and took it home and said it was mine.....finders keeper losers weepers......

You do not need to turn a lost dog into animal control but you do need to notify them if an owner is looking they will know where to find the dog.

As I said above, Finders Chatties is a very broad area and include property that would include lost animals as well.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link you can share about the Finder Law of Lost Chatties? I couldn't find anything when I googled it. Thanks.
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!