View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

Default legal responsibility when finding a dog

There has been a lot of discussion on here recently (sometimes heated) about what to do when finding a lost dog with no tags/microchip. It got me interested in looking at the legal responsibilities when finding or taking in a dog. Someone on another post said something about you are legally responsibly to seek out the owners. When I looked online the only thing I saw was you are legally responsible to contact animal control within a certain amount of time (I think 48 hours). Not sure if this is different from state to state. It is then the responsibility of the owner to seek out their dog. That being said, many would say there is a moral responsibility to seek out the owners. If someone was to take the dog to an animal shelter, I know they would not put up fliers, canvas neighborhoods, or go on craigslist to find the owner. They will wait for the owner to contact them, and if not, adopt the dog out (or euthanize).

Just wanted to see if anyone else has information about legal rights and responsibilities regarding lost dogs in their state to share with the forum.
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!