View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
RockyAndMsRoxy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036 13 year old Yorkie with Collapsed Trachea

My dog, Rocky, has been living with a severely collapsed trachea for over two years. It has gotten worse. I've given him chinese herbs/syrups from Pawhealer.com, hydrocodone and prednisone. At first, he would start with the honking noise when we got excited. Now, he can't even get out of bed or get comfortable in bed without having an episode. He doesn't sleep through the night, he paces and seems really uncomfortable.

I made the brave decision with my vet to follow through with a tracheal stent. 2 days ago, he had the procedure, and he survived it! I was very afraid, given his age, that it would be too risky. I love Rocky and would do anything for him. I want him to live and breathe comfortably. I just want him to be happy. Although, I know the tracheal stent won't cure him, I'm hoping that it will improve his quality of life. That's really all I can ask for.

So far, so good but I don't know if Rocky's post op experience is normal or not.

For example, he's panting quite a bit. I took the day off work to stay with him (just picked him up from the hospital 3 hours ago). He finally fell asleep in the other room and he's snoring pretty loud, which is something new.

I'm just wondering if there are other Yorkie parents out there that are going through the same thing?

I comb the internet looking for people to talk about their experiences..and I can't find much.
RockyAndMsRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!