View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
uabmicurn
Yorkie Talker

Default Question regarding NexGuard - please help

Hello Everyone,

My little girl, Evie, just turned 1 on June 2 and weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces. She gets her heart worm med by injection, so I only need a flea/tick prevention.

The vet recommended NexGuard and said that the 'small dog dose' would be okay for her, even though it's listed for dogs 5 to 10 pounds.

I gave her her first dose on May 4. For a good 7 to 10 days afterward, Evie was lethargic, had diarrhea/soft, runny poo, BARELY ate anything (and I'm sure she lost a few ounces during this time), and scratched a good bit, especially behind her ears (until she got an oatmeal bath - that seemed to solve that side effect).

Has anyone else with smaller Yorkies had this issue? Her next dose is due, so I only gave her 1/2 of the chewable tab last night. She's home with my husband today and he said she's acting a little "sluggish." I hope the same side effects are not starting up again. I'm hoping this is just a side effect of being tired from going to doggie day care yesterday and the day before. :-)

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I won't keep giving this to my girl if it's going to basically knock her out of commission and make her feel yucky for more than one week out of every month. But, I know she needs a flea/tick prevention. I'd just like to find one with little, to no, side effects, if at all possible.

Thanks!
uabmicurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!