Thread: Found A Baby
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassibo View Post
She is malnourished. Skittish. And her hair is coming out. She has not been taken care of. The vet said it's a blessing we found her. I can not see putting her back into that life! I would need definite proof she'd be taken care of!
It was very kind of you to pick this poor lost pup off the streets and help her. But you do have an obligation to look for her owners by law. Even if she looked neglected, matted and malnourished to you that might not be the case. All 3 of mine got out of the yard a few years back and Pebbles was missing the longest....20 minutes and she looked like a homeless dog in that short of a time. It really doesn't take long for them to show the signs that make them appear neglected. Here's a link to how to reunite a lost pet with their owners.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/mis...ir-owners.html

The behaviors of a lost dog know as xenophobic temperament might lead you to believe that the dog was neglected and I am very surprised at your vet.

Quote:
Rescuer Behaviors That Create Problems
People who find stray dogs often misinterpret the dog's behavior; they assume that the cowering, fearful dog was "abused" when in fact the dog has a xenophobic temperament and has been shy and fearful since it was a puppy, due to genetics and puppyhood experiences. Dogs found in rural areas are often assumed to be "dumped" and homeless; many rescuers never think this could be a dog that was lost. Some people who find a stray dog that does not have a collar automatically assume it is "homeless" and therefore they immediately work to place the dog rather than attempt to find the dog's owner. In addition, the first place the owner of a lost dog will search for his or her dog - the local shelter - is typically the last place that someone who finds a loose dog will take it (due to the fear of euthanasia)!
Here is the entire link for the article that the above description is mentioned in and I strongly urge you to read through it. There might be a family desperately looking for this little one.

Recovery Tips: Lost Dog Behavior | Missing Pet Partnership

Also, on Facebooks there are many pages for Lost Dogs in each state. If you have a FB please check this out. I'm just amazed how often and how many dogs go missing every day. But thanks to people posting and reposting the lost and found pictures their are so many happy ending.

Please do not just assume that you do not need to look for the owners or that they were neglectful in their ownership. I find stories like this very sad.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!