View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryn915 View Post
Thanks for sharing!! I have been looking for the encouragement to move forward with my 13 year old yorkies dental work. I know that it will make him feel better and hopefully prolong his life. This post makes me feel as though the good benefits of going through with the dental outweigh the bad risks from the anisthesia. One thing that concerns me about my vet is that they don't close the wound after the tooth is extracted. His reasoning is that if there is an abscess or infection under the tooth they want to allow it to drain out. Does this sound right? I would imagine that food would get trapped in there. I'm sure all 4 of his back molars will be extracted which will leave a fairly large open wound.
I don't think that sounds right. Almost all of my dogs who have had extractions have had the mouth sutured. I would also make sure that whoever is doing this dental is taking xrays. The last thing you need is an improper extraction. It's not expensive for xrays, but it's worth it. He's 13 so hopefully this will be a one shot deal. Also, when a tooth is removed, the abscess is removed with it. I would ask around some more before you proceed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!