Thread: My Baby is FAT!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I've never owned a fat dog but my little Tibbe is certainly stout-ish looking this past year. Tibbe is almost 7, is 9 x 9 inches in size(height/length) and weights about 6.3 now - a pound or more than he weighed most of his adult life. He eats just under 1/4 cup of kibble mixed with 3/4 tablespoon of canned food for breakfast and slightly under 1/4 cup kibble in the evening, sometimes with 2 teaspoons of canned with it.

He was up to 6.9 lbs. at one time last fall and I realized it could be all of the kibble treats he'd get from his training and just doing all the good things he did that I thought he should get treated for. Giving him 6 or 8 kibbles here and there several times a day as treats for being such a good boy was really adding up. I had to stop serial treating him and only give him a single kibble or two per trick or command or whatever and he got back down to 6 - 6.3 lbs. though I still can't see as much of his waist as I used to, so he needs to lose another 3 - 4 ozs. But even just that 5 - 6 oz. made a difference in his appearance and overall level of activity. I notice he seems to have less spitting up and less reverse sneezing than he had when he was tubbier but it could be he's just having an easier time with his MVD this year over last year.

Tibbe goes in for one of his twice annual check-ups and blood tests in June and I'm going to have his thyroid checked also just in case part of his weight gain is thyroid, though he's pretty active. He's shed some in this past few months and Crystal/Ellie May thinks a thyroid and maybe some other endocrine testing is in order.

Does your little one get several treats or extra kibble every day? That and thyroid could be part of her weight gain.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!