Thread: Feeding Times
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
tokipoki
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njimko View Post
That's his last shots before he can be walked, I'm sure there will be more so he's not done in total but the very said he can be walked on Friday. Also, I watch him closely for signs of hypoglycemia and he is never lethargic, tired. I also check his gums and they look fine.
I definitely agree with kreuer about the crate or further confining your pup's area during bedtime.

I think being able to walk him outside after his vaccinations will also be very helpful. I know with Toki we had a similar issue with her needing to poop around 2 or 3 AM when she was a puppy. And actually we had the same issue with Teddy when we brought him home at 10 months. What worked well for us was going for a nice walk in the evening after the last meal so that they had the opportunity to empty their bowels (they almost always did).

Both walking/exercise and finishing a meal create the urge to defecate. This pattern with the evening walks (we also do one in the morning around breakfast) worked well for Toki and Teddy...they weren't waking us up in the middle of the night needing to go out or to a mess and they were able to make it until the morning without accidents. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I was also only feeding them two meals a day (Toki was a larger puppy and Teddy was pretty much full grown at 9 pounds so I wasn't as concerned with the potential for hypoglycemia).

Even now if I skip some type of an evening walk, Teddy (almost 2 years old) might wake me up in the middle of the night or REALLY early in the AM ...he doesn't have accidents but gets very obnoxious when "the urge" strikes (which I appreciate over having to break out the carpet cleaner ). so I try my best to adhere to our regular routine.
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!