Thread: Feeding Times
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

I am no expert by any means, and others with more experience may have some better advice, but I will tell you what I did.

Even when Lexi would eat early, sometimes I couldn't get her to poop before bed. I was frustrated thinking she would never sleep through the night, but I realized there was nothing I could do about that thing in particular. I couldn't force her to poop and I couldn't force her to sleep through the night.

What did help was having her sleep in a crate. If your pup has never done this it may be difficult to start now. Dogs don't want to potty where they sleep so she would whine in the middle of the night when she needed to potty and I would take her out and put her right back in the crate. She had one pee accident in her crate and after that started sleeping through the night with no problems. That was at about 3 1/2 months. Every dog is different though. Some take longer to sleep through the night. At 5 months she still sleeps in her crate next to my bed and I will probably continue this because she sleeps so great.

Does your pup potty outside? Is there any way you can restrict where she can go when sleeping in her bed? Crate or gate that way she has no where to go when she has to potty? Another option would be to set your alarm to around the time she usually gets up to poop or a little before and take her out before she has a chance to have an accident. Just some ideas. Others might have some better advice than me!
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!