View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlain View Post
in the real world outside of the show ring millions of mixed and purebred dogs are born every year with no prior genetic screening and like in life a percentage of those will have some type of health problems but most will not. Oddly enough when I got health insurance for Lola I was charged less because she is a mixed breed. I was told that mixed breeds have less health problems. My past three yorkies were from breeders that health tested, two died by age 9, from health related problems, one from a genetic disorder that we treated him for since about age three, the other one as much as I hate to say it, had a lot of emotional problems along with an extremely sensitive stomach. So IMHO it's all often a crap shoot and regardless whether you buy from a breeder that health tests or from a litter like the OP will have you best be prepared for whatever comes your way in expenses.
A lot of dogs do have health issues that are genetic go hang out in the sick and injured section or even a vets office. It's a myth that mixes are healthier. Just being a show breeder does not make you a good breeder and I'm sure some of the tests that can be done now where not available then.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!