View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Angel Sweet Pea
Yorkie Yakker

Love Ticks... My Yorkie Got a Tick and Vet Put on Activyl

Hi, Please ADVISE. My Yorkie sometimes goes for a playdate with my mom's Yorkie [because they are sisters]. They only play inside. I keep my Yorkie strickly inside and she goes on wee wee pads. The only time I take her out is when I go to the shopping center which is all concrete [no grass]. My mom lets her dog run through the grass [but has used frontline on her dog]. Because of my yorkie's skin allergies I did not put the frontline on her. The day after one of her visits with her sister, I saw a tick on her neck. The tick was the size of a large sesame seed, brown with a white circle near it's neck and in the circle is another brown dot. I ran to the vet , who removed the tick, told me it was a deer tick and then applied a solution called Activyl to my dogs back... It appear like he applied the whole thing as he put it down her back. I then brought her home. Later I found out the side effects of this solution. It says that it is fatal to cats and if you groom a recently treated dog, it can cause tremors /uncoordinated muscle movements. I am really upset because 1) I don't know if the dog contracted lymes [or if I have it because she sleeps with me] and 2) if this solution will effect her delicate health. The vet never told me what the side effects were and just put it on the dog... He was trying to be helpful. Can someone give me some advice as to what to do ? I was so careful not to let my dog go in the grassy areas and to keep her mostly indoors. The vet said she got the tick because she had to go in the grass at some point [and I know she did not!!] or mice brought it into my house [the latter he said is remote]. I need advice on all this... what do you use for tick prevention and do you think she can get a tick on concrete at a shopping center? How could she get a tick from my mom's dog if my mom's dog has been treated with frontline? thanks again to all ..
Angel Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!