View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Default 14 year old and dental

Barney is almost 14 and he had his dental yesterday. He was placed under general anesthesia and monitored throughout the procedure. Xrays revealed that he had broken roots (not teeth themselves) in two of his smaller upper premolars and one front top incisor. Those teeth and the broken roots were removed and the area was closed with dissolvable stitches. He woke up without a problem and came last evening after a day stay in the hospital. He's a little foggy still, but otherwise he did great.

I'm sharing this because I know so many people worry about dentals in their pets, especially older pets. I want to be one of the people that has the other view. I took him for just a cleaning and he was not that bad on exam, but knowing those fractured roots could later cause an abscess when he is even older made me feel very happy about the decision to take him. My husband was initially very concerned as many on YT are. I discussed the pros and cons with him and a trusted vet and decided it really could benefit Barney.

He has some metacam for the soreness in the mouth to take for a week, and he's eating well. By this evening I expect him to be 100% back to himself.

Age is not a disease...and taking care of things early can save a lot of stress and money later. As they say, a stitch in time saves nine.

I hope this gives some reassurance to anyone on the fence. Know your vets, their protocols and procedures and your dog and you'll make the right decisions!

Last edited by 107barney; 05-14-2014 at 07:12 AM.
107barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!