View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoki View Post
I believe almost all of the formulas are complete with exception of the "Preference" formula that you're supposed to add your own protein source to. We have attempted to use this brand in the past and have tried a few of the samples. It made Toki use the bathroom a lot and the food pretty much came out of her looking the same way as it did going in! It's seems so plant heavy as well...ended up being not for us. It might be a good option for dogs needing limited ingredients or that have certain food sensitivities perhaps.

Toki did seem to enjoy the taste although some dogs may have issues with the like the porridge consistency or odor I imagine. Hopefully others can share their experiences here...I think Jenny (mimimomo) fed this in the past with good results though and has more experience feeding it over the long term.

The Honest Kitchen makes pretty good treats though...we recently have been using the Pecks which are 0.6 calories a treat and sometimes we'll get a package of their Beams (rolled fish skin chews) which the pups love!
Just to clear up, preference is the only one you add your own meat to, the rest are complete. I am actually a fan of their concepts, we brought their brand into the store that I work at over a year ago and I feel really good about their concepts and the base beliefs of their food. That said, my picky girl didn't like it. I wanted her too- I really really did. It isn't raw and although I tend to be more for raw than against I appreciated that the food was not a raw food bacteria issue. That it was gently dehydrated at a lower temperature to preserve nutrients but high enough to cook it. I love the ingredients list though my preference was more for the zeal as I am more apt to limit grain intake. I also really liked the idea of baking with it which I have yet to try even though I bought the cook book. Oh yes, I wanted her to like it but alas she did not. Another important disclosure to make is that they had one voluntary recall; a parsley farmer they had used had possibly supplied a restraunt with bad parsley and as a preventative measure they did a voluntary recall. I would rather have a company take extra safety precautions than risk my dog so they can save face. I also like that they are San Diego based (very near me) and that they are careful about their ingredient sourcing and get nothing from china. But it can be as good as it wants to be and if she won't eat it, it is no good to us. We may try it again in the future. Their treats rock- love the quickies (terrible name) dehydrated whitefish in little tiny hart shapes

Last edited by Lilah Charm; 05-13-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Sp error
Lilah Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!