View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Kozmosmomma
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Question about heat

I posted this in another area and it was recommended I post it here.

I have a 10 month old yorkie named Daphney who went into her first heat in March at age 8 months. Her heat was obvious with the swelling and bleeding along with the behaviors of her brothers.

I have 3 yorkie males. 2 of them are neutered and one is not. Reasons for not neutering the one male, and reasons for not neutering Daphney is because I want to wait until age 2. I don't like the idea of a puppy going under anesthesia and I have known of cases where a dog does not come out of it. My vet is okay with me waiting until age 2 because that is what I did with my other yorkies. It works for us and I was able to keep them completely apart during her first heat.

This is the situation- Daphney was in heat in March. All of my boys went crazy, even the neutered ones. Now all of the sudden they are going crazy when she's around. They are sniffing her, licking her, mounting her. They are compulsively masturbating when she is not around. When she is around they mount her yet no tying is occurring.

Currently Daphney is showing no physical signs of heat. She is not encouraging them nor is she discouraging them. She's just hanging out watching them wrestle each other to get to her.

Any ideas as to what is going on? This has been going on for a few days now. I didn't know if it was the weather, a recent change in diet, the fact that they all just had baths (my deceased yorkie did this all of the time after someone had a bath). I will make a vet appointment if necessary but I really don't want to take a day off of work for the appointment if nothing is wrong. They were just at the vet not even a month ago for vaccine updates and physicals. I don't want to pay the expense and take a vacation day from work for my vet to tell me my dogs are just horny.

Is it possible that Daphney is going into heat so soon? Again, she has zero physical symptoms. No swelling, no bleeding, no licking, no change in mood at all.

Any advice or ideas are appreciated as to what my next step should be. Thank you.
Kozmosmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!