View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Tibbe had that happen to him very soon after I got him. He'd spent his first 9 mos. of life in a cage alone so he was scared of everything life with him was very hard. I usually went outside with him but it was pouring rain and I was standing inside the utility porch watching him as he peed in the storm. Suddenly the lightening hit somewhere too close as you could see the blinding flash, feel pressure and then the huge, crackling boom! right over the whole back yard. I think I screamed and poor, shaky little Tibbe just jumped forward about a yard and froze in place. He was already drenched but it looked like he was drowning, too. No calling him to me would move him and I feared he'd be struck by lightening or die of a heart attack from panic so I ran out in my gown w/out a robe into the downpour and lightening and he began backing away from me as I came toward him but I got him and brought him inside. He was shaking so hard, drooling, ears back, panting, eyes wide as saucers, little heart just pounding. I dried him off and brought him inside and began to try to play with him, toss balls, toys across the room. He was having none of it. He was frozen in fear. Finally I got his toy drawer open and began showing him toys one at a time and tossing them a bit across the floor. He could still hear the rain and thunder and was still scared silly but slowly he engaged a little but then he'd jump up on the couch and shake, eyes wide. Treats were left on the floor - too nervous to eat. Finally, I began asking him to Sit, Go in Circles and lie down and do his couple of tricks that he knew at that time and he began to engage and do his tricks over and over. I think that' the day I began showing him how to shake paws and he got right into it. That's what finally brought him out of his total panic - time and working on his tricks. He's such a show-off, being a little ham won out.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!