View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #139
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Dr. Remillard replied to my question about the quality of generic meat and bone meal vs. named meat sources:

"Our Response:

The real problem with "meat and bone" meal or “by-product” meal is the quality (nutrient profile) is entirely left up to purchaser (pet food company). There is meat and bone that contains little bone and high quality (organ) meats, etc and then there is meat and bone meal with a greater quantity of bone and less meat/more connective tissue.

Huge companies like Purina require such enormous volumes of all ingredients, they have legally binding contractual arrangements with suppliers for certain quality which includes specific nutrient profiles and then they affirm that nutrient profile in their own laboratories before it is included in a food. I am more concerned about the quality of the ingredients used by those companies that do not own their manufacturing plant, a co-packer is buying the ingredients and that company has lost control over product quality which is how unwanted ingredients end up in your product.

Respectfully,
R Remillard, PhD, DVM, DACVN"
This co-packing issue is of huge concern to me. A friend of mine one time got a bag of a holistic food and the food inside was different. She called the company and the representative just argued with her about it. They obviously lost a customer. I am in the process of picking a new food for Winston who seems to have an intolerance to chicken and cannot continue on his RC food. My top choice so far is Purina One beef and rice.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!