View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
ShowGirlLola
YT 1000 Club Member

I made a DH spice cake and a Pillsbury orange cake for mothers day. Both turned out great.

I still have no idea what happened before, the only thing I can guess is it's something with their chocolate cakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Are you using oil, butter or Crisco? The new Crisco does not have trans fats. Trans fats is what made cakes come out so good. I listen to Melinda Lee's radio show often and so many bakers were up in arms since Crisco changed the formula. I think she said to use Ghee instead.
I never use crisco, I always use oil for cake mixes, and oil or butter for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
You sound like a very experienced baker and it doesn't seem to be tied to oven temp issues or mixing issues - so I just have to think it was a certain Lot of Hines cakes that had something wrong with it. Since you used 2 of the same mixes and it happened both times, the only thing I can think of is the lot...almost sounds like they forgot the rising agent and/or a binding agent.
The cake mixes were bought like 6 months apart and I think from different stores, so I doubt it's the same lot.
ShowGirlLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!