Thread: Clicking bones
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

As long as my pups are running and playing and showing no signs of discomfort, I don't worry too much.

Neither my vet or the surgeon I use recommend operating on an adult pup for knee or hip issues unless there is a problem with ambulation and/or signs of pain.

One of my pups had surgery two years ago for hip dysplasia. She started limping and that was what led me to have her checked out. Prior to that, I had NO idea anything was wrong. There were zero signs...and no "clicking". Here is a link to her thread...she still has it in her other hip, but is doing very well. This past year we have some really unusually cold weather and she was fine so I am hoping she may never need surgery on the other hip.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...-tomorrow.html

I have pups with luxating patellas of varying degrees. I do feel them slip in and out (what I believe you mean as "clicking"...you feel a movement) at times when I am handling them, but they never show signs of discomfort. It is not recommended now to operate on an adult pup with LP unless the pup is having problems with ambulation ie: limping. In an adult pup with LP the cruciate ligament is often at risk...fixing that knee is not going to fix that ligament. They don't know how worn that ligament is ... so the surgeon I use will only fix the knee if the ligament tears. He said that too often the knee is repaired and then months later the ligament tears and then the pup needs yet another surgery.

I do recommend having your vet take a look....if hip issues are suspected, it is best to xray to make a diagnosis.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!