View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
tomlcu
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneysmommmy View Post
She is adorable! I want to get Barney in a short cut too, but he's also very thin so I have been reluctant to do this. However, Ava's cut turned out precious. If only they made hair extensions for dogs so I could undo it if it turned out badly.

By the way, the vet told me I should be able to feel Barney's ribs but not see them protruding. So I would think it's fine that you can feel her ribs.
Thanks for sharing this. At least according to your vet's words Ava is just fine. I have already brought Ava to a vet twice for her shots when she was 3 months old. It was noted however that she was "a bit thin". After that we really made an effort to monitor her weight and eating habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Teddy's hair definitely made him look bigger when he was a puppy.

For the ribs and spine, yes, I meant visually. As Barneysmommy wrote, you should be able to feel the ribs without pressing hard, but you should not be able to see them. When you can't feel ribs easily, then the dog is overweight.

Many Yorkies have a very fine build or bone structure that makes them look thinner. Here is a girl Yorkie I follow on Facebook who is like Ava and Teddy:
https://www.facebook.com/chloepolkad...type=1&theater

As I wrote, Ava is darling and looks healthy to me.
I also followed the link just now! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena View Post
I know it is always a worry that they are not eating. . . Galen is one finicky pup. I fed him a lot of dry foods. I finally found something he likes. I am feeding him Primal. Anyway. . . Here is a picture of Galen when he was shaved. I asked the vet. I was really worried he was too think. She said he is lean but not thin. . .he was fine. I hope this helps
Galen's built is more similar of Ava's built now. So I guess Ava is just lean as well and not thin (well hopefully)! I just hope she'd eat much more than she's eating right now and weighed more. Her weight right now is 0.9 kg or around 2 pounds only - this is also what made me somewhat concerned.
tomlcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!