View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Older dogs can also have a Bile Duct blockage or sludge, which will produce the same blood work results as a dog with Liver Shunt. Did the vet check your dog's Liver enzymes or only do the BAT test? It's also important to do x-rays and an ultra sound to check for stones in the bladder and to assess kidney health. (This I know from personal experience)

Also, the Lactulose may work for a while, but bc it changes the chemistry of the gut, a dog may have to stop taking it. It is not a long term solution. My Tink stopped eating anything after being on Lactulose for 2 years. As soon as I gave her food without it, she gobbled it down. Just watch out for any bloating and lack of appetite.

Her BATs were over 300 and she did not have a shunt. She had exploratory surgery, and the vet was prepared to fix a shunt if one was found, but none was there. Her bile duct was blocked and causing liver problems. The fix for that is a simple pill that dissolves the sludge in the bile duct. Blood work may indicate this as the problem.

Last edited by kjc; 04-30-2014 at 06:08 AM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!