View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
prettypuppypink
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Is this your first puppy? At 9 weeks old, you are expecting to much from him, very young (pee often). Plus, he just arrived Sunday and needs adjustment time to his new home. Are you giving him total freedom? I would restrict his freedom, use an an X-pen or kitchen with a puppy gate. Some members crate train their pups. I have done this with some, depends on the puppy. I did housebreak a male puppy with panties with a panty shield liner inside but he was much older and used the wee pads at the same time when I removed the panty. I only did this because it was winter and very cold. He had pneumonia and was fragile. You can find them in many catalogs. I watch a puppy and put it on paper when it awakes and after feeding, lots of praise,etc. He would walk away from the paper but I'd put him back on it and so forth. I followed the same schedule with paper training as I would with training outside. They eventually get it but at 9 weeks their bladders can't hold it. It takes time, patience, and being consistant to housebreak a puppy. There are belly bands in all sizes. You can also find some made to order. One of my breeder's made her own belly bands and sent them in the puppy pac.
At 9 weeks and only having him a few days, too early to call it a 'nightmare!'
Hang in there.
Jessica
prettypuppypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!