View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I would not add that much home cooked food to puppy food. If you want to get a good answer, you can visit this site and click on "ask the nutritionist" and perhaps she will let you know. She is a very good vet nutritionist and her site is very informative.

PetDiets - VNC putting your pet's health first .. for more than 20 yrs!

Dogs require a delicate balance of nutrients to remain healthy. Commercially produced food like kibble is balanced to meet this need. If random foods/treats exceed 10 -15% of your pet's diet, you risk upsetting the balance.

Home cooked food is great, but I would consult a vet nutritionist like the one Cathy linked to make sure you are feeding a balanced diet.

To answer your other question, you would not want to feed the recommended amount of kibble as indicated on the bag + a large amount of additions. Then your pup is overfed. The amount he should be getting depends on the food's calories and fat grams per cup. Some foods are denser than others.

Puppies generally require more than adults and won't overeat. There are always exceptions. Max would not have overeaten kibble as a pup, but if I served him a whole chicken, he probably would have tried gobbling the entire thing.

Make sure you are using really lean ground beef and that you drain it well. Admittedly, I'm biased against beef because I know it is too much for my guys.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!