View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vms1177 View Post
Ok My Mandy just turned 9 years old and to have the surgery it would be approx. pretty difficult at this point due to her fragile state relating to anesthesia with the last surgical procedure. It also cost 7,000 to 8,000.
I would do it if she was not doing well on the diet. I do not have a positive diagnosis of shunt but with the bile acid testing and her symptoms her initial pre value was 261 now down to 165 it was after 2 months on the diet with the lactulose she started going up the stairs playing like she has not in many years with my other 2 Yorkies. I am not asking for ideas I know what my options are and at this point I am not opting for the surgery she did terrible coming out of anesthesia from her dental they really had a terrible time keeping her stable and if all else fails I may have to take her to Cornell University to have the surgery but I am just reporting my findings. I am very aware and not ignorant to what this disease is. I wanted others to know that a home cooked diet can make a big difference versus the commercial Hills. THANKS so much for all the support from those with positive remarks
No one posted anything that is not positive. We posted our experiences and knowledge. While you may choose not to do the surgery, other people DO need to know that diet is not a fix for liver shunt. Your thread imho is a tad bit misleading. As to comparing the diets...I don't think you can do that just because you think your diet is better.

While you think she is improving, I can tell you that her bile acids are quite high!

Surgery for liver shunt should not cost what you quoted....you might want to ask around about that. I spent over $7,000 last year on my pup with a liver shunt; but he was in the EC one night and then in ICU for a night and then had the liver shunt surgery plus surgery for bladder stones. Liver shunt alone should not be over $4,000 anywhere as far as I understand.

If you don't want to do the surgery, that's all well and good; but people DO need to know that it is the usual treatment of choice for a liver shunt. As to home cooked diets vs commercial RX diets...they both work, but only IF you do a consult with a vet nutritionist. Just putting food together without supplements and balanced diet is not good. I have a lot of experience with pups on home cooked diets and also RX diets and both have served them well. It varies on a case by case basis what will work best in terms of diet.

I wish you and your pup well...I will keep her in my prayers.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!