View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco40 View Post
I did speak with the breeder and she said it's her standard practice to give Panacur for all new puppies because they could get diarrhea.From my research I am seeing if the puppy is stressed (going to a new home) then the giardia can reappear. I do love the dog but have only had her for a few days. Vet said the three days of Panacur is fine for now and to watch for any symptoms. I then have to do a follow up in three months. The breeder did not admit that she has had a problem with this in
any of her dogs prior to this one. I find this hard to believe.
I think Giardia will be manageable but wondered what others thought on this. Luckily the dog is going on potty pads and
not infecting the neighborhood thus far or our yard.
Maybe one of the breeders could weigh in on standard practices for puppies. Panacur is a prescription med for de-worming. I don't recall if deworming puppies is a standard, but I still think it is odd that the breeder would send the Panacur home with you. I don't think it should be used just for stress diarrhea that may be caused by going to a new home.

I wouldn't stress too much about this. Your baby is 12 weeks old and you have proper vet care. Enjoy your puppy!

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!