View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Welcome to yorkie talk Jai and Armani! One of my favorite potty training advice stories I have heard on here is to tether your pup to your side at all times (when you are home together) so you can be right on top of rewards and redirection. Seemed like a terribly clever idea to me. At our house we used baby gates and closed doors to limit the area that lilah was allowed to be in when I was home to supervise (for us that is the kitchen/living room with a hallway to the main restroom) there was a potty pad available in the restroom as well as in the main room. When I went to work though I felt that it was too long if a time frame for her to be expected to hold it in a crate (I don't think that 8-10hr rule was built for the bladder of a 4 lb yorkie!) so we did an excercise pen with her dog house and a potty pad in it that way she wouldn't establish den soiling habits that can come from crating for longer than their bladder can hold. We now only require one potty pad that stays in our restroom and she does not have to stay in the expen while I am at work (four days a week six hours but add a long commute) but we do still used close doors and baby gates for her general safety). It is tough to have to start from square one again but I am sure you guys can do it! Best of luck with your potty training!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!