View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Piddle Place
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsparkes13 View Post
I am located near Cincinnati, OH and I have two Yorkies. I have tried everything to potty train my dogs that are now 3 years old and yet they still poo or pee where ever and whenever they please. I have tried everything I know to stop this behavior short of keeping them in the crates or outside, neither of which is acceptable to me.

I am DESPERATE for help! Does anyone know of a trainer near my area that might be able to help with these issues?
I think I can help Disclosure first, I have a product called the Piddle Place as my name implies, but I am not here to promote this or sell anything. I am here to see photos and brag about my Jaz. Anyway, we have trained thousands of dogs, and I bet we can help you.

INSIDE:
Here is what we might try. We usually start with a crate, but in a "happy setting" The crate opens to a 6 x 6 fenced area (I buy the plastic fence at Babies-r-us) Jaz has her bed inside the crate, the door is open to her play area, in the play area she has chew toys, water, and her indoor dog potty. We start with closing the crate, and when she is let out after a nap, she usually has to "go" Dogs like to "go" on something, kitchen carpet, puppy pads, newspaper, your new purse, etc. After being free for 3 years, your dogs might resent being in a closed crate, and that would add to their stress, however we find if you make this a happy play area instead, they will feel secure there.

If you need to encourage your dog to use your new system (indoor dog toilet, puppy pads), you might need to scent it.
I use the scent of another dogs urine...sorry, but it really works. Most people just stop by a dog day care or pet store with a napkin and a zip lock bag. I have tried the stuff they sell at pet stores, but it does not really work well.

Poke a hole in the bag with a pin, you don't need much, and your dog will smell it even if you can't. This will encourage your dog to go that spot.
Say things like "go potty" and immediately give a reward. If your dog goes elsewhere, say no, place them where you want them and say "go potty" You must be consistent so the dogs understand. Being confined to a small area is the key to making this work. Dogs don't like to "go" where they sleep or play, so they should go potty where you are trying to make them go.

Once they understand the plan and the reward, you can take down the fenced area, and just leave the dog toilet and their crate. They will enjoy their freedom, and know what is now expected. Most people leave our Piddle Place in the laundry room, bathroom or on their balcony

To train the dog to go outside should be easy. Once they have the "go potty" signal, you should be able to take them outside and have the same reaction. The little bag of dog scent works great outside as well, just place it near a bush or something.

Do you walk your dogs or let them outside often? Do they go potty outside, then come back inside and go again?

Can you let me know what you have tried? There are great training tips at dogtoilettraining.com but every dog is different. I am happy to call you if you like.
Piddle Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!