View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I just held out my hand in the traditional stop position and said "Stop!" in a firm but upbeat voice and Tibbe, in shock, stopped in place. I then locked eyes with him, kept my hand up and walked to him and treated him, said "Release" is a very squeaky, upbeat voice and started clapping my hands as I was telling him "Good boy" and bending down and petting him as he jumped around and celebrated getting his treat and getting his praises. I kept repeating that training 3-5 times per 5 minute session x2 or so daily, waiting until he was running across the room or coming to me and giving the "Stop!" command, locking eyes, and keeping my hand up until I got to him and told him "Release".

If he started to move out of his stop position, I would repeat "Stop!" but if he still tried to move, I would bring both hands out to the side, say "Stay" while looking right at him and he would remain still. Once I got to him and said "Release" and treated him, he could move out as I praised and petted him. As he already knew the command "Stay", it worked well a couple of times to keep him in place as I walked toward him and stayed right in place until I got to him. He stopped and stayed at first because it was a fun game to him but now, he just does it out of habit. He's just learned to do what I ask of him or give him a hand sign to do.

Once he got the command down in the house and did it 100% of the time, we moved the training outside, where it was a bit harder but I upped his treat to a more valuable one he liked better and he was quick to "Stop" and wait in place and has done it in some critical situations when he was possibly in the act of running off the property but stopped and waited on command. Now, he's been separately trained not to leave his property and will "Stop" and then come to me on command outside in all manner of circumstances, even with a stranger, another dog out front with him or a cat or squirrel.

I like the idea of using the stick/barrier method Britster used for training "Stop" as well! She has trained Jackson to do all sorts of tricks!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!