View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Oh, my, you have a spoiled rotten baby just like I do but mine minds me and will go lie down if I suggest it strongly and really mean it, just because he wants to please me and has learned that doing so is more rewarding than not doing it. My Tibbe would be just like your guy if I hadn't reshaped his behavior and made him want to behave. It takes work and training but it is so rewarding and at the end of 6 months or so, you have a different dog and in a year, you have a little prince who is a joy to have around.

This guy needs some boundaries that you set, tell him "No" if you want him to stop the behavior and don't allow him past your boundary or command without standing up and backing him off until he lowers his head, turns away and leaves the area, having recognized your authority to set the rules. And then you stand there(trying not to smile at how darn cute it is) and wait until he's certain you mean business. And this is where the dog trainer in you comes out and you don't cave when he looks around the door to see if you still mean it if you are in the process of re-training him. No, you point and send him off again until you "release" him, at which time you generously treat and praise him. And if he starts back into his old habit, call him out again and tell him "No", back him off and wait until he's quiet. Later, if he's not asleep or into something else, you can "release" him and allow him to come back to you.

I would start him on Nothing In Life Is Free and keep up the program for a solid month, where he never is allowed to walk ahead of you, never is allowed up on the couch or bed or chair with you unless and until you invite him and has to perform a command(spoke in an upbeat voice and not militantly) before he gets his treats, water, food, outside to potty, toys or anything that he now obtains by begging and browbeating you - cute as it is it IS wearing. He'll love the program as he gets to perform in order to obtain something he wants and he'll quickly learn how cute and smart you think he is for doing it - and he'll learn in the process that doing what you say is what gets him what he wants - not harassing you for it.

As for putting him in his crate, make it a "You Won The Prize!"(excuse the bad grammar) moment, where you yell out that he's won the prize, all happy and excited, and toss some treats in his crate, usher him in while dancing around, clapping your hands and patting him all over as you gather her up and put him in and celebrate his entry into and being in the crate as if he'd just won the lottery! Make a big, big, happy deal out of it and keep saying "You Won The Prize!" and smiling and talking in such an excited voice. Toss him a couple of more treats into the crate, smiling. That way he won't see going into the crate as a downer and you won't feel as guilty.

Leave him in there in his excited and befuddled state for a couple of minutes and let him back out, giving him treats. Next time he "wins the prize", allow him to stay in the crate a bit long and then treat him as he comes out - as if he's performed a great feat, smiling and praising him. Gradually increase his "prize-winning" time in the crate and always celebrate his going in and coming out. He won't get it but he will enjoy it and eventually, he'll come to accept a long time in the crate - if you do it right - without even knowing he was positively reinforced into accepting something he normally might not enjoy as much.

A good obedience training program where you work with him learning how to do basic commands and then adding tricks one at a time will teach him about self-control, how to obey your commands without waiting or questioning and show you how very smart he is - and he is! You will treat and praise him every time he gets it right and keep him working learning, keep his brain busy working for you and not working to get things his way by harassing and wearing you down and in time, you will have a well-behaved dog who is bonded to you in the right way, does what you say with alacrity for your positive reinforcement and is always looking to please you.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!