View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Some of you are aware that our Zoey tested positive in 2011 for heartworm. At that time there was a shortage of the "adulticide" used in the treatment and we had to wait a bout 4months for the drug to become available again. And just so you know it was "our" fault she contracted heartworm, as we missed several of her heartguard medication.

Not only is the treatment risky most especially with already compromised dogs, it is also quite expensive. SHe had to stay at least one night in the ER, and would only be allowed to go home if she suffered no complications. There were two treatments done if I remember correctly one month apart. Zoey did come through both treatments with no complications.

Five short months later Zoey was diagnosed with malignant lymphoma, which she died from in 2012.

I can't help but wonder if that heartworm treatment so compromised her immune system that she succumbed to cancer.

For medications we now mark our calendar in the kitchen (where we keep our meds) and tick off when a med is given. my dogs will never miss a heartworm med again!
It's sad to remember Zoey's story but I'm so glad that you're committed to HW meds monthly now. We give it on the first of the month and now we have the cute iphone App to remind us too.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!