View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejoel View Post
I've worked with Joel a lot on this. I started in the house, all day I would go and pick him up and carry him to his treats and repeat it all day, so he knew what happens when I keep picking him up.
He also knows the difference of the tone I use. I could be playing chasing him around the house and then I switch to my serious voice "okay let me pick you up" and he immediately lets me get him.
I also got him used to if I ever am yelling at him(by accident lol) to not run away. Like when he was a puppy if I sounded stern or annoyed he never ran in fear because once I got him I would give him lots of love where as most people would get them in trouble, a lot of dogs will run away if you call them with panic or urgency so he doesn't do that either.
Even when he was a little jerk when he was a puppy, when I was so annoyed at him for making me chase him in the yard to go inside but once I got my hands on him he got tons of love and kisses.
And also you should to teach 'stop'
Yep, works very well when the payoff for not running is bigger and more fun than running. And Tibbe is just jigging with excitement when he stops and I start walking toward him, knowing he's in for a goooood time ahead.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!