View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieChloe View Post
I don't want to spay her before at least a year old. I think she is just way too small. In general, I don't really agree with taking her ovaries out.. It just doesn't seem ethical to me because you basically try to prevent one thing (pyometra) but create extra problems such as inability to control her own weight and open the possibility for many more health complications. As I understand, show dogs do not get spayed and they live for many years so I don't see why she needs to get spayed. Generally people say to spay so not to create accidental pregnancies but I do not plan on letting her be around male dogs or on the ground outside during her heat cycle.. And I'm pretty sure a male dog can't break through a steel door. I have nothing against people who spay, but at 6 months old I don't think she really needs this kind of heavy surgery. As of now that's how I see it but this opinion might change in the future.
All I have to say is I hope you reconsider. I can see you've made up your mind and all that stuff about weight is complete nonsense. My dog has never been more than a 5/9 or "ideal" body score. If you overfeed any dog it will gain weight. The surgery for the spay wasn't a big deal. My dog came home the next night, slept and was right back to herself. Puppies are spayed all the time at younger than 6 months and that is a good age to do it. It should be done before the first heat cycle.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!