View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
tiffygirl2003
Senior Yorkie Talker

Lynette,
You didn't say if the dogs are more successful when they're with the sitter?

You'll get mixed responses on your question regarding discipline so I'll just go ahead and give you mine. When I originally began potty training my 1st dogs (many many years ago) I was told not to discipline. But when I got my 3rd dog I hired a dog trainer who made me see things differently. He put it this way, if I don't disciplne the dog for bad behavior or potty training mistakes then it's as though I condone the behavior. I don't hit my dogs, I don't roll up newspaper but I do scold them to let them know that I am disappointed in them. I only do this when I know which dog is responsible for the bad behavior. If I can't determine who the culprit is then I can't discipline. This system works for my 3 Yorkies and Terrier mix because I know which of my babies might be guilty of certain acts. You'll find people who say only discipline if you see the behavior and of course I'll agree this method is most effective but my system works for me.

I agree with your decision to minimize the space for the dogs. The puppy is still young to be crated all day but the 18 mos old should easily be able to tolerate 8 hrs and hold her bladder. At 6 mos old the max I crate is about 4 hrs and then it's straight out to the backyard! Until they know where they're supposed to go, I even carry my puppies to the door and direct them to go outside. Sometimes when ther're walking from the crate to the door they have an accident, so I try to help them not have an accident by getting them outside quicker. I only do this until I see they "get it". I hope this helps!
tiffygirl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!