View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Miranda619
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Bonding with my Yorkie

I do not work. I spend all day with my 5 mo old Yorkie. We've had him since January. I feed him, I walk him, I train him, I groom him, I pretty much do everything for him. We started out okay but this past month has changed. I feel like he doesn't like me. The minute my husband walks in the door he gets so excited. My husband basically just plays with him. Training goes out the window once he gets home. My dog will not listen to me at all. He hides behind my husband when I give him a command. Of course when he doesn't respond I get aggravated and he can probably sense this.

I don't feel like my puppy and I have a strong bond. It's almost like he tolerates me because I feed him and take him for walks. It does hurt my feelings because I'm the one that does everything plus the dirty work. All my husband does is play fetch with him, he'll also go to the dog park with us on the weekends. I can tell my dog adores him and he goes nuts when my husband is around.

I can't believe this has gotten to me the way it has. I try so hard to bond with him and it just isn't there. I've tried giving him his space because I know sometimes they don't want to be smothered. He likes to sit by me but doesn't like to cuddle but he'll sleep on my husband's lap or cuddle right next to him. I thought that he would bond with me because I am the "source" of all his needs. We also have play time together but he gets bored very quickly and walks away from me. He can go on and on with my husband.

I am obviously an emotional person so I am wondering if he senses this and keeps his distance. When we're at home alone he listens but when my husband is here he ignores me. Of course I get emotional but I try not to show it and other times I do raise my voice which makes it even worse. Forget it if I show any kind of anger like raising my voice, he'll stay away from me all day. He is very sensitive, I've never come across a dog like him. Although, if my husband raises his voice at him, it doesn't bother him.

One time when we first got him I lightly swatted him on the behind. I knew this was wrong and I felt horrible about it. I haven't done it since. We seemed okay after that. I think it hurt me more than it hurt him. It just seems like the past month or so things have changed. Did that one mistake destroy our bond? Sometimes it seems he's scared of me. Or am I reading him wrong? The whole looking down when I give him a command or walking slowly towards me? It makes me feel like he fears me. I really need help because I want us to have a better relationship. I do not want my dog to fear me.

I've done a ton of research and everything I come across tells me to do things I already do such as walk him, feed him, groom him, etc. We're going to puppy training at Petsmart, alone of course, because my husband doesn't participate. We've only been to one class so far and the trainer pretty much told me the same thing...go on walks, feed him, treat him, groom him....I'm doing it and he still forgets who I am once my husband is home. What now?

Has anyone ever gone through this? Is it possible to make things better or has my puppy bonded with my husband for good? I want us all to have a loving and healthy relationship. It's not just about him liking one more than the other. I like that he loves my husband, although, I am a little jealous because I wish he felt the same way about me.

Any suggestions?
Miranda619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!