View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
DBlain
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGirlLola View Post
A lady in Lola's puppy class had that basket, she had to duct tape the entire top edge. I'm not sure why or how old the basket was.

It was a nice basket and her puppy liked it.
That sounds awful her's must have completely come apart. what happened with mine is one of the wires in the front corner that runs vertical was not attached or welded correctly, in fact it might never been attached. I used it a bunch with my last yorkie and never had a problem, never even realized that one of the metal bars was not attached. But leave it to Lola to find that area. I have no idea how I missed seeing her start to push herself through the opening, but all of a sudden she was jumping out of the basket. She fell on all fours and started running down the street squealing like a little pig. I threw the bike down and chased after to her screaming for her to stop, how I caught her is a miracle. Thankfully she was not hurt and that we were on a quite street close to where I live. I walked her and the bike back home. I wound up turning the cage around so the bad area was close to me, and then I used some soft wire and sort of wound a bunch of it around to close the gap, now in addition to the cage I also tether her in. After that incident I tried again, the first couple of times were short rides and she got a little foamy around the mouth which I believe meant she was a bit afraid, but I kept trying short rides and would bring her favorite toys, or bully sticks, once she started squeaking and chewing I knew we were past the fear stage, so now we roll along for more than an hour at a time.

My husband and I like to bike ride and I know we do it much more since we can bring Lola along, I highly recommend this activity, as long as your pup is securely attached to the basket. Also I think you need to be a fairly confident bike rider, so if you have not ridden in quite some years practice a bit on your own first, also make sure your bike is properly sized so if you have a problem with your dog you can easily stop and get off the bike without falling.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!