View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I have a different point of view to I think what many here have. I would never get another dog, to just be company to the one I do have.

I should be enough company for the dog that I do own, even if that means sometimes I hire dog walkers, or he goes to a doggy play spa date etc.

I would get another dog, because I wanted the love of another dog. The opportunity to train with and bond with another dog.

In terms of same sex or different sex for the new addition, I think the most important thing is to understand the temperament of the dog that you do have. How social is he? How dog aggressive People aggressive, is he already trained - house broken, knows sit, down, stay, leave it, walks easy on the lead, etc.

Two neutered males can co-exist quite comfortably unless both are very very dominant in personality. One neutered male, and one spayed female also can co-exist peacefully (usually).
I agree that I wouldn't add a dog solely to be company to the first. This is especially true if the expectation is that the dogs will entertain each other. My boys do not self-entertain.

We often say that life would have been easier with just one dog, but we wouldn't have missed having Teddy for the world. We have such a special bond with Teddy. At the same time, he is good for Max because we do not have much opportunity to socialize with other dogs.

Very good point about disposition when it comes to choosing a second dog. While I would characterize both of my boys as strong/dominant personalities, Teddy does recognize Max as the leader.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!