View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #12
RHOADST
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I continue to use the lure until the dog is doing the trick on his own 4 out of 6 times or the majority of the time. Then don't hesitate to continue to use treats for rewards for getting the trick right and don't forget a smile and happy praise. Make him want to please you with your upbeat attitude and he will work hard to figure out what you want for the great reward he knows will be forthcoming and most of all he'll work to please you after he's been at it a while and learns that all that positive reinforcement from you is waiting for him upon doing his job well. To me, there is nothing cuter than a dog doing his tricks and knowing he's your star!
I tried not having a treat in had for the command sit because he knows that command really well but if he can't smell the treat he isn't interested in performing the trick so I don't think I can take the treat out of the training!! I do give him lots of praise and have been amazed at how fast he has picked up on the tricks. I still have to lure him in the down position so he does not fully have that one yet but his butt was raising in the air after his front would lower and now he is not raising his butt in the air so he is showing improvement. I have never taught a dog tricks Before and I wanted to train Howie to do many tricks ..just didn't know if I was doing things right but was trying to follow all that I have read and watched on YouTube. Thanks!

Last edited by RHOADST; 03-28-2014 at 02:56 AM.
RHOADST is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!